Behind the Spud: Mechanical Tinkering (Pt. 6)
Whats up everyone!
In our last post, we talked about making some changes to our combat system, amongst other things. We have been working on these changes – on top of alterations to other mechanics – and wanted to share what we’ve been working on with you!
To start things off, here is a quick little list on some of the things that we are implementing in the new combat system. Our previous combat system was pretty polished, but we had noticed after a few rounds of testing that it tended to get a little repetitive and so we wanted to vary the gameplay with the following changes:
- We are changing the AI behaviour such that they fire weapons more frequently and are unpredictable, making combat varied
- We are simplifying weapons so they are easier to understand.
- We will be adding weapon variety. We want to have more utility weapons that allow players to react to situations that may arise in battle (such as healing another weapon, increasing defense etc…)
- We are including riskier weapons that have high damage variance. They could either do super low damage or decimate an enemy’s weapon!
- We are adding damage ranges, accuracy, and critical hit chance to weapons. This would allow for unpredictable and varied situations
Besides the combat changes, we’ve also been working on implementing the following features into the game:
- Galaxy Map (allows you to travel from planet to planet)
- Warp Gate: Used to travel from galaxy to galaxy (from the Hub Station).
- Hub Station: Consists of various shops where you buy weapons, upgrades, refuel and patch your ship, and where the warp gate is.
- Ship Interior Implementations:
- Research Room: Allows you to research ship technologies
- Training Room: Allows you to train crew members to learn new skills
- Therapy Room: Allows you to cure your crew members from Battle Accrued Trauma (BAT).
- Engineers will develop negative traits whenever the weapon they are assigned to gets destroyed. They will need to be taken into therapy to remove the negative traits.
Lastly, we have changed the visuals of a couple of things. The weapon components used during crafting and equipping at the bridge (formerly known as the control room) are now a lot spiffier.
Also, we have touched up and polished the exterior of the ship when it travels from planet to planet!
That is pretty much all for now! Our artists are working hard on drawing up all the assets for all the characters, weapons and their tiers, bosses, spaceships, boss weapons, and a million other things! I reckon once we have a solid bunch of weapons and characters I will write up a Behind the Spud post dedicated on a few of the weapons, characters, and spaceships!
Ciao for now,
Thank you for taking the time to read through this week’s Behind the Spud!
Follow us and anything Holy Potatoes! with the following links!
Steam Community Page: http://steamcommunity.com/app/505730/discussions/
There are no comments yet, add one below.
Post a Comment